Monday, November 3, 2014

Unplugged

I can imagine there are tons of blogs, posts, etc. out there about how we are all too connected to our electronic devices and how we should put down our smart phones and spend time doing other things. Well, I was without my phone for less than 24 hours last week, and I never want to do that again!

Thursday night, my phone (which barely holds a charge these days) was about to die, so I turned it off. When I went in to bed and tried to plug it into the charger, nothing happened. I tried a 2nd charger and then a 3rd and still nothing. I even went outside to my car and tried that charger. I panicked. How can I not have a phone? But at 10:00 at night, there was nothing I could do. In the morning, I tried them all again and realized that I was going to be phoneless until I could get to the store which wouldn't be for hours. I felt like I was missing an appendage. Which is actually pretty accurate. Here is how my day went...


When I woke up to feed Chase in the middle of the night, I watched tv instead of browsing Facebook.
In the morning when Kevin asked me what the weather was going to be like, I just stared at him. He turned on The Weather Channel.
I went on Facebook and posted about my mini-tragedy. Because I'm very important and I knew tons of people would be looking for me. My mom got sent a private message to reach me on Kevin's phone since we were meeting up that morning.
As we got ready for Cole's school Halloween concert, I had to keep looking at a clock to know when we had to leave.
At the concert, I couldn't take any pictures. I also made an effort not to get separated from my family, because then I would never find them.
Friday afternoon, I had errands to run, including going to Verizon, although that was last on my list. Food shopping was tough without my calculator. My mind isn't equipped for math.
Our car had to be jumped in the morning, so the clock hadn't been reset, and I had no way of knowing the correct time to reset it. And since I was meeting up with someone at 2:00, I had to keep asking strangers for the time. I would imagine no one asks anyone else for the time anymore.
Several times when I was out, I thought about a question or something I had to tell someone. I started making mental notes to reach out to them later.

It was about 3:00 in the afternoon when the tech/savior at Verizon got my phone back on. My phone was teeming with notifications. In any given day, I realize that I use my phone not just for calling and texting, but for email, weather, calculator, phone, GPS, looking up information, social media, recipes and a clock. So as sarcastic as some of this may be, right or wrong, I don't know what I would do without that little electronic revelation. And I will not be voluntarily unplugging again anytime soon.

3 comments: