Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Conversation with a toddler

Someone made an observation to me over the weekend about how we can’t wait for our kids to learn how to do things and then as soon as they start, we wonder why we were so anxious for it. (He put it much more eloquently than that.) Last night as Cole and I drove home together, I definitely got this feeling.
Kevin was running for re-election to the school board, so he had Cole with him at the polls shaking hands and kissing babies all day. It was great to hear from everyone there about how good he was all day. But since he is talking more and more every day, I thought that I would try to get Cole's take. Here is how our conversation went.
Me: Did you have a good day?
Cole: No
Me: Were you a good boy?
Cole: Boy
Me: Yes, boy. Were you a good boy?
Cole: No
Me: Did you have fun?
Cole: No
Me: Did you see Mom Mom and Pop Pop?
Cole: Pop Pop
Me: What about Mom Mom?
Cole: No
Me: Did you shake hands and kiss babies?
Cole: No

(This is when I was just trying to get him to say something different.)

Me: Is your name Cole?
Cole: No
Me: Do you want to go home?
Cole: No
Me: Do you love me?
Cole: No
Me: Can you say anything other than no?
Cole: No

At that point, I gave up. I guess we’ll save the “how was your day” conversation until he is a little older. Or until he stops loving the word no.

No comments:

Post a Comment