Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 1

Today starts an interesting new chapter for our family. My husband is in a new position in his company which will require him to travel more than he ever has before. I'm happy and excited for him, but I've definitely been thinking about the effect this will have on all of us, with 2 young kids and a 3rd due to make his arrival any day now. This is how Day 1 went.

Normally, I go into work late on Mondays, but I was actually scheduled to be off today, which was really nice with the impending weather. Both kids had their share of Super Bowl fun, so after kissing Daddy goodbye around 6:30 this morning, we all slept in until 9:30! So nice for this very pregnant mom to get some extra sleep. Our plan was to eat breakfast and get ready to go out for the day- picking up a couple baby things at Target and then to NJ to meet up with my sister. I looked outside and saw that the snow had different plans for us. Yuck. The new plan was not to go stir crazy.

Being silly the camera
I made breakfast and told the kids they could eat in front of the tv today. First broken rule of the day. Chloe started off by taking food that wasn’t hers, climbing on everyone and hitting. First time out of the day. Back to breakfast, and I’m talking to Cole when Chloe knocks over her tray table, all the food on it and somehow manages to flip herself off the couch on top of the mess. First tears and injury of the day. Meanwhile, I’m hearing from Kevin that he is sitting on the runway in Philly, while I’m feeling my first Braxton Hicks of this pregnancy and praying that that’s all it is. (It was.) Oh, and Cole asks how soon until Daddy comes home. Thursday is a long way off for all of us at this point.
Hiding from Mommy
Cuddle time with their baby brother

After breakfast, Cole asks to play Madden on the Wii- his new obsession. This is an unusual day, so we’re breaking more rules, and I say yes to electronics at 10am. He plays that while Chloe occupies herself with her toys, so I take advantage of the time to check work emails. Well, neither of them like that idea because Cole feels the need to yell to me about every single play he makes, so that “good job, Buddy” becomes the only thing I say for what seems like forever, and Chloe follows me in wearing Cole’s shoes and tries to climb on my lap.

Back to the living room for more playing, followed by Chloe going down for a nap, and Mommy sorting and organizing baby clothes. The batteries in the Wii remote go, and we have a break from hearing, “I got a touchdown!” for the time being. After Chloe wakes up, we have lunch which is fairly uneventful, except that I can tell all 3 of us are already getting cabin fever. I need a plan. I look outside and the snow has slowed way down and our streets are cleared. I decide we’re making a break for it. I text and call my sister, but no answer, so I decide on Target. The kids are just excited to be going somewhere.

Highlights from our shopping trip- we use the bathroom hand dryers for wet shoes (mommy hack of the day), Cole picks an outfit for his baby brother, the kids try on hats to send pictures to Daddy, and we raid the dollar bins (where Mommy comes off like Santa without having to break the bank).
Trying on hats
My poor injured baby (looks worse in person) 

Pretending to nap in the cart

Real nap on the way home

We head home and all go down for naps. It’s after 4 by this time, so we’re breaking the late day nap rule, and I know I’ll pay for it later, but I just can’t help myself. Chloe and I get up at 5:30 and Cole not until 6. We have leftovers for dinner and my normally picky eater (Cole) scarfs down his dinner while my good eater (Chloe) refuses to eat anything until I put a cupcake on her plate with her stromboli and carrots. That and juice boxes with dinner, and we have 2 more broken rules but happy kids.

Eyeing up her dinner of stromboli, carrots & cupcake

Cole insists on a family bath after dinner, so we all hop in together and send more pictures to Daddy (I'll keep those for us), so he doesn't feel like he’s missing out. Pajamas and books, everything laid out for tomorrow, bags by the front door, and I'm feeling pretty satisfied that the night will end well. (Besides a lot of questions from Cole about when Daddy will be home and wanting to wait up for him. Sigh.) Of course, I should know better because Mommy's Law is just like Murphy’s Law and it’s now 10pm, and both kids are still awake. After an hour of trying to get Cole settled in his bed, he’s now lying in mine because Chloe won’t stop talking. I'm hoping that the separation leads to some sleep for all of us. Wishful thinking but it’s my only solution for now. Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment