Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'm a man!

As a society, I think we expect certain things for each gender. Our boys are supposed to be rough and play sports and our girls are supposed to wear dresses and play with dolls. Right or wrong, these are stereotypes for a reason. Of course, our children aren't born understanding their roles or what gender is or how they are supposed to act, but somehow they learn. (Okay, we know how, but as parents, we can’t help it sometimes.) So while I will try to teach my son to be sensitive and I hope my daughter grows up loving Sunday football, I know that they will inevitably fall into (at least some of) the gender stereotypes. And how do I know? 
Well, you could say it’s already starting.

A few days ago, we were at my parents’ house, and Cole tells his 5 year old (female) cousin who is enjoying a Gatorade that girls aren't allowed to drink Gatorade. Umm, okay.

I took the opportunity to ask him what else girls and boys aren't allowed to do. His answers:
Girls aren't allowed to have cigars.
Girls aren't allowed to go outside (where Cole and Daddy have guy time).
Boys aren't allowed to go to sleep. (Convenient for my nocturnal 3 year old.)

I asked him if there were other things that boys and girls can/can’t do and he said:
“I don’t know; figure it out.”
Appalled, I asked him why he would say that.
“Because I’m a man!”
Well, of course you are. So that is now Cole’s favorite response to everything.

Cole, why did you push your sister?
Because I’m a man.

Cole, can you put your clothes in the hamper?

No, because I’m a man.

Cole, can you get your sister's bottle for me?
You get it. I'm a man.

And the question that gets asked 50 times a day...
Cole, why did you do that?!
I'm a man!

You get the chauvinistic (although still adorable) picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment