Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Late Days

Once a week, I work a later shift from 11:30-8. It’s not my favorite thing to do, because by the time I get home, all I want to do is eat something and go to bed, but I do get to spend the mornings with my favorite little man. There are usually stories to tell from this time together, and today was no exception.
  1. Being that it was my late day, it was dark and rainy out, and I haven’t been feeling well this week, I fully intended to stay in bed when I heard Kevin get up at 6. However, Cole had a different idea as he jumped on my head and grabbed me around the neck saying, “Get up!” Thanks to my husband for bringing him into our room.
  2. Cole’s breakfast food of choice today- marshmallows. This is what he asks for every morning. And he must know it’s wrong, because he asks in this dastardly little voice with an evil look on his face and what “scheming villain hands.” Today he had applesauce and strawberries. Then I gave him marshmallows.
  3. I had laundry that needed to be folded, but as Cole is obsessed with lacrosse lately, he didn’t understand why I couldn’t drop everything to play with him. He would hand me the stick and throw me the ball and then I would put the stick down while he chased the ball (because he kept missing me). But if I didn’t pick that stick right back up, he would freak out. Fun.
  4. I’m trying to give my son choices in life to give him the opportunity to decide for himself. I’m not really sure if this fosters independence or decisiveness or what, but it seems like something that I should be doing. So, today, I gave him a choice of a lacrosse shirt or a Diego shirt- currently his 2 favorite things. It took a good 30 seconds of contemplation. But in the end, lacrosse won!
  5. Since I have to work late tonight, Cole will be going to lacrosse practice with Kevin. (Noticing a theme here?) Well, he loves going, so I told him about it. Then I said that it was time to go to school. “No, crosse,” he told me. Oh, man, I confused him. “Yes, Bud, you have lacrosse, but not until later when Daddy gets home.” This was followed by crying and yelling and throwing himself on the floor. Bad Mommy.
  6. When we walked outside, I had no idea just how nice it would be. We both had on jackets, but as soon as I got in my car, I took mine off. Which Cole naturally questioned. “Jacket off?” I told him that yes, I had to take off my jacket because his baby sister was making me hot. A few minutes later when we got to daycare and I went to get him from the car, he said, “Baby sister hot. Let me check.” Then he proceeded to lift my shirt, stare intensely, and then kiss my belly. My sweet boy.
Just another day in life with a 2 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment